CMS membership is based on calendar year, from January to December.
A CMS member remains in good standing if they renew their membership no later than March 31 of the current year.
Each CMS member will have a unique ID number and an online portal account that they can access member benefits throughout their membership.
- All Membership rates are non-taxable.
- For Non-Canadian addresses payment is required in U.S. funds.
- Rates are subject to change without notice.
- Membership fees can be paid in advance for up to 3 years to secure the current year’s rate.
- A receipt is sent by email after processing is complete and can be used towards your NSERC grants or may be claimed on your Canadian tax return as professional fees.
When renewing or applying for membership, you must select the most appropriate category that defines your current situation.
2-for-1 Membership: When signing up for a new membership, a 2-year membership for the price of 1-year will apply to all non-student categories. A new member is considered someone who has never been a member of CMS before.
Grandfathered New Member Category: This category (grandfathered as of 2019) was created to give a new member the opportunity to secure a low rate for a 5-year commitment; 50% of regular fees. This commitment can be paid up front for all 5 years or paid yearly. Any disruption in concurrent payments, the regular rate for membership will be owed for the year(s) of paid membership. A new member is considered someone who has never been a member of CMS before. Once the 5-year commitment is completed, your category of membership will be as a regular member and the fee based on your professional annual salary.
For all other category definitions, please see Categories.
Displaying Member Information
You can control all information provided in your portal account and you can select what information is visible in the CMS Members-Only Online Directory on the Website. Any member who wishes to be excluded from the membership directory can indicate this during the renewal survey or can make changes through their portal account at any time.
Cancellations for membership are accepted before March 1 of the current year. Refunds will be issued, less a 15% administrative charge per cancellation.
- Payment can easily be made online using VISA or MasterCard through your account. We also accept payments by cheque.
- The CMS does not accept wire transfers.
- Those with Canadian mailing addresses must remit in Canadian dollars and those with non-Canadian addresses must remit in US dollars.
- When paying by cheque, please fill out the membership form including all applicable shipping & handling charges and taxes if ordering publications, and mail it to the appropriate address for CMS. When paying by credit card, please make sure to include the cardholder name, card number and expiration date and the cardholder signature.