THE HONG KONG POLYTECHNIC UNIVERSITY
The Hong Kong Polytechnic University is a government-funded tertiary institution in Hong Kong. It offers programmes at various levels including Doctorate, Master’s and Bachelor’s degrees. It has a full-time academic staff strength of around 1,200. The total annual consolidated expenditure budget of the University is in excess of HK$7.6 billion.
DEPARTMENT OF APPLIED MATHEMATICS
Assistant Professor in Applied Statistics and Financial Mathematics / Engineering and Computational Mathematics / Applied Optimization and Operations Research / Data Science and Analytics (three posts)
The Department of Applied Mathematics (AMA) is part of the Faculty of Applied Science and Textiles. The Department offers Bachelor of Science Scheme in Data Science, and makes a significant contribution to most of other academic programmes of the University by providing service teaching. It also offers master programmes in Applied Mathematics for Science and Technology with specialisms in Decision Science, Actuarial and Investment Science, Operational Research and Risk Analysis, and Data Science and Analytics. Members of the Department have expertise in applied optimization and optimal control, engineering computation, operational research, management science, applied statistics, FinTech, data science and machine learning. There are currently 51 academic staff and about 36 research personnel in the Department. Please visit the website at http://www.polyu.edu.hk/ama for more information about the Department.
The Department has established a Joint Laboratory of Applied Mathematics with the Academy of Mathematics and Systems Science of the Chinese Academy of Sciences. The appointees are expected to be actively involved in the activities of the Laboratory.
The appointees will be required to:
- teach and contribute to curriculum development at undergraduate and postgraduate levels;
- supervise MPhil and PhD students;
- engage in scholarly research, consultancy and other scholarly activities leading to publications in top-tier refereed journals and award of research grants;
- undertake academic and departmental administrative duties; and
- perform any other duties as assigned by the Head of the Department or his/her delegates.
Applicants should have:
- have a doctoral degree in Mathematics / Statistics / Financial Mathematics / Operations Research / Computational Mathematics / Applied Mathematics or a closely related field;
- have expertise in applied statistics, operation research and mathematics;
- have an established track record in research and scholarship, including refereed publications and external grant applications;
- have a demonstrated commitment to excellence in teaching; and
- be highly proficient in written and spoken English.
Remuneration and Conditions of Service
A highly competitive remuneration package will be offered. Initial appointments will be on a fixed-term gratuity-bearing contract. Re-engagement thereafter is subject to mutual agreement. For general information on terms and conditions for appointment of academic staff in the University, please visit the website at https://www.polyu.edu.hk/hro/docdrive/careers/doc/Prof.pdf. Applicants should state their current and expected salary in the application.
Please send a completed application form by post, nominate three referees from different institutions/organisations by providing their names, addresses and relationship with the applicants, to Human Resources Office, 13/F, Li Ka Shing Tower, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Hung Hom, Kowloon, Hong Kong or via email to email@example.com. Application forms can be downloaded from https://www.polyu.edu.hk/hro/careers/guidelines_and_forms/forms. If a separate curriculum vitae is to be provided, please still complete the application form which will help speed up the recruitment process. Consideration of applications will commence on 26 May 2022 until the positions are filled. The University’s Personal Information Collection Statement for recruitment can be found at https://www.polyu.edu.hk/hro/careers/guidelines_and_forms/pics_for_recruitment.
PolyU is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusivity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to gender, ethnicity, nationality, family status or physical or mental disabilities.