Applications for Fall 2020 will be postponed by a year due to the current pandemic. We will be accepting applications on June 1, 2021 for grants given in Winter 2022.
Deadline for applications: November 15, 2021
Estimated date decisions will be sent to applicants: January 2022
Estimated date grant funds will be distributed: February 2022
The Math Competition Grants are open to Canadian contests of different kinds at the school level. This includes:
- Traditional: students solve problems in a timed written exam
- Projects: Teams competing to solve a strategic problem over a longer period of time
- Posters: Preparation of a mathematical solution or discussion for display purposes
Preference will be given to:
- Competitions which embrace a number of regional schools (city, county or province-wide),
- New ventures or those which are aiming to expand their reach,
- Competitions which have matching sources of funding or which are aiming to become self-sufficient.
Typical grants will be between $500 and $1000. Grants may not be used for salaries but are designed for costs associated with supplies, travel costs, reproduction costs, prizes, publicity, and related expenses.
Those who are awarded grants must:
- Acknowledge the Canadian Mathematical Society in all reports and publicity connected with the competition. The CMS logo will be provided.
- Provide the CMS with an activity report of their competition. The report should include:
- The number of competitors and where they were from
- Type and size of prizes
- Any restrictions on eligibility
- The composition of the organizing, examining and marking committees
- Samples of publicity materials and of reports to other organizations
- An assessment of whether objectives were met
Applications must be submitted using the online application form below by the appropriate deadline.
Grant Application Form
Complete the online form below. Before submitting, please upload with this application the following supporting documents:
- a detailed budget, including information on other funding sources;
- a copy of the competition instructions or contest paper;
- if a grant was received for the previous year, include a financial statement for that year.