THE HONG KONG POLYTECHNIC UNIVERSITY
The Hong Kong Polytechnic University is a government-funded tertiary institution in Hong Kong. It offers programmes at various levels including Doctorate, Master’s and Bachelor’s degrees. It has a full-time academic staff strength of around 1,200. The total annual consolidated expenditure budget of the University is in excess of HK$7.4 billion.
DEPARTMENT OF APPLIED MATHEMATICS
Research Assistant Professor in Applied Statistics and Financial Mathematics / Engineering and Computational Mathematics / Applied Optimization and Operations Research (four posts) (Ref. 20092401)
The Department of Applied Mathematics (AMA) is part of the Faculty of Applied Science and Textiles. The Department offers undergraduate programmes in Investment Science and Finance Analytics, and Data Science and Analytics, and makes a significant contribution to most of other academic programmes of the University by providing service teaching. It also offers master programmes in Applied Mathematics for Science and Technology with specialisms in Decision Science and Actuarial Science, and Operational Research and Risk Analysis. Members of the Department have expertise in applied optimization and optimal control, engineering computation, operational research, management science and applied statistics. There are currently 39 academic staff and about 70 research personnel in the Department. Please visit the website at http://www.polyu.edu.hk/ama for more information about the Department.
The Department has established a Joint Laboratory of Applied Mathematics with the Academy of Mathematics and Systems Science of the Chinese Academy of Sciences. The appointees are expected to be actively involved in the activities of the Laboratory.
The appointees will be required to:
- conduct research as the main duty and actively pursue external research grants, such as General Research Fund, as Principal Investigator or Co-Investigator;
- provide quality teaching at undergraduate or postgraduate level;
- contribute to departmental service; and
- perform any other duties as assigned by the Head of Department or his/her delegates.
- have a doctoral degree in Mathematics / Statistics / Financial Mathematics / Operations Research / Computational Mathematics / Applied Mathematics or a closely related field;
- have demonstrated promise of a high level of creativity in research and teaching in some subdivisions of his/her field;
- be able to demonstrate effective classroom teaching; and
- be highly proficient in written and spoken English.
Remuneration and Conditions of Service
A highly competitive remuneration package will be offered. Appointments will only be on a fixed-term gratuity-bearing contract. Applicants should state their current and expected salary in the application.
Please send a completed application form by post with the names and addresses of two referees to Human Resources Office, 13/F, Li Ka Shing Tower, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Hung Hom, Kowloon, Hong Kong or via email to email@example.com. Application forms can be downloaded from http://www.polyu.edu.hk/hro/job/en/guide_forms/forms.php. If a separate curriculum vitae is to be provided, please still complete the application form which will help speed up the recruitment process. Consideration of applications will commence on 15 October 2020 until the positions are filled. The University’s Personal Information Collection Statement for recruitment can be found at http://www.polyu.edu.hk/hro/job/en/guide_forms/pics.php.
PolyU is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusivity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to gender, ethnicity, nationality, family status or physical or mental disabilities.