Instructor, Full-Time, 31 weeks Limited Term Appointment
Dalhousie University invites applications for a 31 week limited term instructor position with the Department of Mathematics and Statistics at Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia. The position is expected to start on January 1, 2022.
The instructor will teach a total of four courses and fulfill the duties of Mathematics Honours coordinator and advisor during the Winter term.
Courses to be taught:
- ACSC 3720 Life Contingencies I: Winter term
- MATH 1215 Calculus for Life Sciences: Winter and Summer A term
- MATH 1030 Matrix Theory & Linear Algebra I: Summer A term
Course delivery in winter term is expected to be in-person. If required due to public health measures, course delivery may switch to on-line. The courses in Summer A term will be delivered on-line.
The instructor is responsible for all aspects of teaching, grading and administration of each course taught (markers and TAs will be assigned as appropriate), and will be available for three hours per week outside of class times for student consultation.
Responsibilities for Honours coordinator/advisor are:
- Organize and attend the Mathematics Honours seminar (weekly on Wednesdays 12.30-1.30)
- Check that graduating Mathematics Honours students fulfill all program requirements (in April 2022)
- Answer questions from students about the Honours and major programs in Mathematics.
Applicants must have
- a M.Sc. degree in Mathematics or a related discipline, familiarity with and experience teaching university-level courses in mathematics or a closely related field
- demonstrated evidence of teaching effectiveness.
The following will be considered an asset:
- Having passed the MLC or LTAM exam of the Society of Actuaries
- Experience teaching university-level courses in on-line format
- Experience in student advising
- Familiarity with a North-American Honours program in Mathematics
- Experience teaching courses similar to those listed above.
Applications must include a cover letter, curriculum vitae, teaching statement, teaching dossier and contact information for three individuals who can provide confidential letters of reference. Reference letters will be solicited by the committee after an initial review of applications. All application materials must be submitted online via PeopleAdmin at: https://dal.peopleadmin.ca/postings/7351
The start date for this position is January 1, 2022. Review of applications will begin September 15, 2021 and continue until the position is filled.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority. Dalhousie University is committed to fostering a collegial culture grounded in diversity and inclusiveness. The university encourages applications from Indigenous persons, persons with a disability, racially visible persons, women, persons of a minority sexual orientation and/or gender identity, and all candidates who would contribute to the diversity of our community. For more information, please visit www.dal.ca/hiringfordiversity.