This working group will discuss some of the current issues and
challenges in mathematics teacher education at the secondary level.
The main questions will relate to algebra and pre-service training,
but overlaps with inservice education will occur during the third
session. More specifically, the three sessions are structured as
- What are the big ideas of algebra for grades 7-12 pre-service teachers?
- What algebra ideas draw our attention to mathematical relationships
and offer opportunities for experiencing the pleasure of critical thinking
and mathematical insight?
- What does this look like in the mathematics classroom?
- How should we prepare pre-service teachers to teach algebra?
- Do we continue preparing our preservice students to teach some
- Do we question where the teaching of algebra is going? How do we do
- How do we deal with non-mathematics teachers teaching mathematics?
- What are some inservice/retraining models used in the various provinces?
- How do we deal with the shortage of mathematics teachers?