Statistical Research Officer, Jamaica
|PARTNER NAME:||Bureau of Women's Affairs
|FUNDING ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS:
||Must be eligible to work in Canada
|LENGTH OF PLACEMENT:||12-24 months
|START DATE:||February 21, 2012
Fluent in English- Level 4|
To self-assess your level please see
CUSO-VSO is a non-profit development agency that works through
volunteers. Each year, we send hundreds of global citizens to work on
collaborative development projects in more than 20 countries in Africa,
Asia, Latin America, and the Caribbean. We are one of North America's
leading international development organizations that works through
ABOUT THE PARTNER
Bureau of Women's Affairs was established in 1974 and is a government
organisation in the Ministry of Youth, Sport and Culture. The bureau's
mission statement is to enable women to achieve their full potential as
participants in Jamaica's social, cultural and economic development with
equitable access to and benefits from the country's resources.
THE VOLUNTEER'S ROLE
- Identify and/or develop measurable gender equality indicators
- Consult with international and regional standards and guidelines in relation to the development of gender
indicators/statistics e.g. UNECLAC, CARICOM
- Assist the Director of Policy & Research Dept in systematic collection and analysis of gender
- Work with the Statistical Institute of Jamaica (STATIN), Planning Institute of Jamaica (PIOJ), other
statistical departments within sectoral ministries and the gender focal points in these ministries
- Access and analyse gender related data from available data sets & original data; develop user-friendly
- Analyse quantitative data using relevant statistical principles and tests and report findings
- Prepare findings from data analysis in presentations and reports
- Conduct training of Policy & Research Staff regarding gender disaggregated data methods and analysis
SKILLS, EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Degree in Statistics /Social Research or related field
- Minimum 3 years of experience in quantitative research and quantitative/statistical data analysis
- Strong policy analysis skills
- Data base design and management skills is major asset
- Training in policy analysis and gender and development is desirable
TRAINING AND FINANCIAL SUPPORT
Our training and support package covers the costs of being an overseas volunteer, allowing you to enjoy a modest but
healthy lifestyle while you volunteer abroad. This includes:
- Attendance at a CUSO-VSO assessment day (candidates are expected to cover the first $150 of the most
cost-effective travel expenses and accommodation costs).
- Travel and accommodation costs associated with five day pre-departure training course held in Ottawa.
- Return airfare and visa/permit (this includes a return flight in the case of a family emergency).
- Coverage for required vaccinations, medications and health insurance.
- Accommodation while overseas.
- A modest living allowance, which varies depending on the country where you are placed.
- Quarterly payments to support you in your placement
Please apply online at
quoting referral LAC0217-0009/0001 and
Statistical Research Officer of the placement.
Submitted on Wed, 2 Nov 2011 14:03:52 -0400